10th April 2013
London Metropolitan University was granted a licence for sponsoring international students.
8th April 2013
Changes to Immigration Rules
On 6th April 2013 the new changes to the Immigration Rules came into effect. The main changes were made to the following categories:
- The Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur) – additional places were added for talented MBA graduates from UK Higher Education Institutions
- The Tier 1 (Exceptional talent) – some changes were made to the application process
- Tier 2 – the new codes of practice for skilled workers came into force.
- Tier 4 – students completing PhD may remain in the UK for one year beyond the end of their course in order for them to find skilled work or become an entrepreneur.
- Other minor changes
The application fees have been changed since 6th April 2013.
New application forms were introduced on 6th April 2013. The applications on the old forms will still be accepted until 27th April 2013 including.
4th March 2013
On 1st March 2013 the UKBA announced changes to the codes of practice for skilled migrant workers which come into effect on 6th April 2013. The New Code of Practice will be based on Standard Occupational Classification 2010 system.
The minimum appropriate rates for skilled workers in each occupation will be changed and the new general threshold for Tier 2 (General) Applications will be increased to £20,300.
Further changes will be made to the labour market test.
4th February 2013
A new updated handbook “Life in the UK test” has been published and is now available in the shops. A new test based on the updated handbook will be introduced on 25th March 2013.
17 December 2012
On 13 December 2012 the UKBA released new application forms for some applications, i.e. most of Tier 1 applications, settlement applications, NTL form, TOC form, DRF1 form, FLR(M) form, FLR(O) form, FLR(BUS) form, FLR(P) form, BRP(RC) form, DL (formerly HPDL) form, BR(1) form and BR(3) form. However, the old versions will still be accepted until 3rd January 2013 including.
12 December 2012
Changes to Immigration Rules from 13 December 2012
THE UKBA announced that on 13th December some changes to Immigration Rules will take place. The changes will mainly cover Points Based System.
Main changes to Tier 1
- The requirements for the level of English language for entrepreneurs will be reduced from level C1 (advanced) to level B1 (intermediate)
- The possibility to curtail the leave if the investor fails to maintain the level of the investment as required
- Switching from Tier 4 into Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) will be available only if the applicant has £50,000 funding from a specified source
- Confirmation that the applicant for Tier 1 (Investor) cannot score points for investments against which he has taken out loans, or investments that are held in offshore custody.
Main changes to Tier 2
- The maximum allowed absence from the UK for settlement purposes is increased up to 180 days
- Introducing rules as to salaries and recruitment practices for barristers sponsored under Tier 2;
- Migrants with Tier 2 and Tier 5 leaves are to be allowed to undertake additional employment in a shortage occupation, even if the job is different from that which they are sponsored for.
Main changes to Tier 4
- Those with Tier 4 leave will be allowed to work as a doctor or dentist once they have submitted an application in which they are sponsored to do a recognised NHS Foundation Programme, while they are waiting for the decision
- Students who have been endorsed by their institution for the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) category are allowed to work in self-employment once they have submitted a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) application and are awaiting the decision
The full information can be found here.